Thursday, October 30, 2014

Kid Crack-You Can Thank Me Later

Do these toys invade your home? You might like to read on!

**I wrote this post back in August and never published it.** NPR recently came out with an article "Surprise! Kids love Unboxing Videos too" (I totally scooped them!) about the toy reviewer Disney Toys HERE. I've posted our favorites below!

*Original Post*
There are unavoidable moments in parenting where you have to use technology. I'm not going to get into a "screentime" discussion here but will just give you an example (and some remedies) of when we have to use it in a pinch.
This week I have been a solo mom. Many many women do this far more graciously than I do and with more kids so I'm not asking for a medal. I'm just saying that I have done the bedtime routine 6 days straight and bathing a 3 year old while huge pregnant is quite the task. So is walking up the stairs but let's not discuss my lack of exercise here either.

I am also the "on-call" this week at work meaning I am on 24/7 if need be. Well several times I have gotten calls while the little guy is still up and while I wish he would sit quietly on the floor and do a puzzle or sort socks that shit just isn't happening.

So while I log into work and deal with whatever is going on, I play videos for him on my personal laptop. This makes me wonder if we need an Ipad/Nabi/Leap Frog when Baby #2 comes but that also is a topic for it's own post.

Our favorite videos lately: Disney CARS Toy Reviews. The two main reviewers we watch are Blu Collection and Disney Collector. From NPR: One wildly popular series of videos comes from a YouTube user known as DisneyCollector. In her videos, an anonymous set of hands opens various toys and other kitschy merchandise, often from Disney, while she narrates. Simple, yet her channel has more than 2 million subscribers and her most popular video has more than 94 million views.

I personally like Blu Collection. His voice is kind of soothing. ;)






Here are a few from Disney Collector. My son really got into play-doh after watching these and loves to bury his cars and then peel them out. She has a ton of great videos.



And this is the Disney Cars Toy Club. These guys are a little too commercialized (and he says Max Schnell wrong) for me but this video is 26 minutes....so if you need to do the dishes or take a quick shower and blow-dry..... this should have you covered.


3 comments: